Friday, August 19, 2011

REFASHION: You Design

I'd like to first start out by saying how truly amazing and creative my fellow business-women are. They are wonderful mothers and definitely know how to make a beautiful home on a cheap budget. As for me, it is just me and my husband in our small apartment at the moment and one thing is for sure, I LOVE clothes! I'm big on fashion but not big on the expensive prices. For all of you who are like me and love many of the newest fashions but don't want to have to pay an arm and a leg to get it, I've found a solution!

I've recently been introduced to the world of REFASHION. Now I can have the styles I want for virtual nothing in cost. All it takes is knowing what you like and having the guts to give it a try. The great thing about recycled and refashioned clothing is the way that old clothes, styles, and fabrics inspire you to create something gorgeous and new.

Below is a dress that my sister handed down to me. I never really liked how this dress fit my body so it sat in my closet for several years. A couple months ago when I was walking through a store I found this gorgeous ruffle skirt which made me think back to the abandoned dress. It gave me the idea to turn something I never wear into (hopefully) something I would enjoy much more. It was one of my first refashions so I definitely had my struggles with this project, but the result turned out great and it is now one of my favorite skirts!




Another daring refashion I tried my hand at was this old shirt from Forever 21. I had seen many loose fitting silk tank tops all over the place and knew I had to have one, especially during this hot summer. Silk is definitely not the easiest of fabrics to sew on, but in the end this shirt became honestly one the most comfortable shirts I own!




Lastly, the most favorite of all my refashions and the easiest is my refashioned Bermuda denim shorts. I had been wanting to buy a pair all summer but never had the money, so I went down to the thrift store and found a pair for jeans. I found the perfect pair and for $6.00 I now have a cute pair of shorts!

J Crew $59
DI $6

So how hard is it to refashion clothing? I will admit that I was very intimidated and even scared at first. I had no idea where to start and was unsure of my capabilities to refashion clothes. It wasn't until I dove in and began changing clothing to my likings that I started to gain confidence. It is not uncommon to hear people say they wish they could sew, or that they had the creativity of others. I honestly do believe though that anyone can do it. Refashioning does not need to be as advanced as creating a new dress from an existing garment, it can be as simple as cutting off a pair of jeans into shorts, and sewing on a few motifs or buttons, or perhaps repainting a pair of shoes. I challenge all of you to give it a try and to be sure to send us a picture of your creations! Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment